National Citizen Party (NCP) spokesperson Asif Mahmud Sajib Bhuiyan has challenged Local Government State Minister Mir Shahe Alam to publicly disclose the file in which alleged irregularities took place during the tenure of the interim government.
Asif Mahmud made the remarks during a live broadcast from his verified Facebook page on Saturday night in response to allegations brought by the state minister.
During the live session, the former adviser to the Ministry of Local Government said the allegations required clear explanation and transparency.
“The state minister should make the specific file public. If any irregularity has occurred, people have the right to know,” he said.
He added that if a secretary remains absent due to a foreign visit or other reasons, an additional secretary is often assigned responsibility based on seniority with approval from the minister or adviser concerned.
“If something like that happened, then there is no violation of law,” he added.
Earlier, State Minister Mir Shahe Alam alleged that former adviser Asif Mahmud Sajib Bhuiyan approved a project-related file during the interim government period without the signature of the secretary concerned.
The state minister also said instructions had been issued to investigate activities carried out by the Local Government Division and its affiliated committees from 2009 to 2026 and submit a report within 60 working days.
While raising allegations of irregularities in development projects in Pirojpur, Mir Shahe Alam claimed that around Tk 6,000 crore had been withdrawn from a project without any work being completed after tenders were awarded.
He said development projects in Pirojpur have remained stalled for the past two years due to the alleged irregularities.
The state minister added that authorities would soon conduct field visits in Pirojpur to restart the halted projects.
He also alleged that irregularities and corruption had taken place in road and bridge construction projects in several other districts.
